Moving Banner

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Guerrilla Camping 101. . .

It's been nearly three years since I dedicated myself to the walk. Here I am only 300 miles later trying to make it work. And here you are to hear all about it.

If you aren't in the know, I wrote fourteen blogs between September 2005 and March 2006 entitled Guerrilla Camping 101. The series was a guide to nomadic survival, from experience gained in the military, endurance racing, section hiking the length of Korea, hitchhiking through the American south, or years just spent wandering the mountains near my hometown.

It all started with Hurricane Katrina. Reading the news that the innercity residents without cars were unable to evacuate, I was horrified. At the time, I lived beneath sixth and market streets in San Francisco, literally a foot below the heart of the inner city. And sitting next to my door was a big black backpack with everything I needed to spend five days walking in any direction. Not because I was a survivalist, but because I was prone to take spontaneous trips to the woods and it was always easier if I just stayed packed.

Over a few months, I wrote blogs covering everything I could think of. As I realized how much my readership had grown, I started taking it a bit more seriously and putting alot of time into the entries.

Anyways, there's your first post. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment