Moving Banner

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Guerrilla Camping 101.1 - The Blackpack


Draft originally posted at The Guerrilla News Network. Included here with GNN commentary courtesy of the GNN Archive.
R90104
4 years ago
moondancer

ur hard core brother

R90107
4 years ago
ShiftShapers

a rhetorical question: what do we do when the stores all close their doors?

R90130
4 years ago
deadduck

SS – Salvage if you’re white, loot if you’re black.
...I know you said rhetorical, but I wasn’t going to let that stop me.

R90132
4 years ago
deadduck

Oh wait, I had a relevent comment, too.
Blackpacker – When you say a Thermarest mattress pad, are you recommending the inflatable or one of the eggshell-solid foam ones? I’m partial to the foam, since the r-value is still pretty decent and if you puncture your inflatable, you’re in for a cold night. That said, the foam takes more space.
Nice tip on the nylons. I’ve never heard/thought of that.
I’m looking forward to the next installment of this.

R90151
4 years ago
sisyphus

Excellent stuff – thanks. We recently went over some of the same ideas in a blog I wrote called Preparing for the worst – hagcel’s contributions came to mind when reading this.

R90193
4 years ago
hagcel

Wow, went back and read those blogs again after reading this. Looks like there are alot of us living outdoors.
Blackpacker, you and I have pretty similar gear lists. But those gortex parkas are great, eh?
I gave up on thermarests all together. The way I sleep, (Arms crossed underneath me, lying on my stomach) I’m able to sleep on pretty uneven ground, so the thermarest seemed to be a waste. I’m probably going to get a foam pad and cut in half and double it for wintering this year. Doing a 4 day loop of 36 miles next week, I can’t wait.
I posted my packlist in Sisyphus’ blog. You should check it out. If you’re blackpack, I guess I’m green sack, but don’t tell my stoner friends.

R90438
4 years ago
Snark

Hot damn- I guess I’m not the only one to realize that the Mayans had it right- the hammock is the gift of the gods. Unless I’m contemplating a lot of time in snow, or am not camping in an area with lots of trees, the hammock is the way to go. Lighter than a tent (provided you’re packing the Yucatan-style net hammock), more comfortable, gets you off the cold ground, better ventilation, and no problem in weather as long as you can string up a tarp or cocoon around you. I’ve been known to combine a bivy sack with a hammock, too. Awesome packing list you have there, very well thought out.

R90440
4 years ago
Snark

Another thing- can’t help but admire your pared-down existence. Belongings, as much as some of them mean to me, are a hindrance and a needless attachment.

R90445
4 years ago
neverknwo

You forgot Moleskin.

R90448
4 years ago
confusion

So what do you do for money packman?
Im thinking of doing the exact same thing come next summer.. but I’m a bit scared of a. travelling through the states and 2. being alone…
Ive been reading about dumpster diving and such, Im an old hand to shoplifting, thats no prob.
South America… hmmm.. Im not too sure how they would recieve a homeless anarchist packer… but then. Fuck, Ive never been…

R90449
4 years ago
neverknwo

Forget Dumpster diving you can take the Food right off the self by searching for
the outdates. You can usally fill an entire cart a week. Managers are understaffed
and they can use your help.
They hate to record the loses but Capitolism is a failure
and products just Rot. Most of it goes to the trash. But some goes to the Soup Kitchens.
Just demand a Manager and teach them how embaressing it would be when the board of health was
called to appear here and see this in a Shopping cart.
Some stores have policies you get it for free.
Post Modified: 10/18/05 09:09:13

R90455
4 years ago
EGisJUICE

Just walk around the store eating what you want and dumping the wrappers. I do it at least twice a week at different stores for lunch.

R90457
4 years ago
confusion

“dumping the wrappers”? what do you mean? Just hiding them after you are finished? Ive done that, but wandering a supermarket is no way to enjoy a meal…

R90491
4 years ago
BlackPacker

For money, I work. I may be a homeless radical, but I stay neat and clean. After your seventh of eigth cafe job, you can usually get one just by explaining your situation, and inmpressing them with your prior knowledge of their POP (Point of Purchase system) I’ve also done Construction, Retail, Bar work, and even on three or four ocassions settled down with the migrant workers on popular street corners. The longest job I’ve held since the military was a tutoring job, which I held for a year after I finished college.
I use one of the inflatable thermarests. They fold flatter and leave more room in the pack, and since an army ruck sack is about a foot shorter than most modern hiking packs, looking at that eggshell one, it seems as if it would poke out of the top of my pack. Also the lighest inflatable t-rest is about 5ounces lighter, but like I mentioned, I’m not a feather weight.
The moleskin is in the first aid kit. I almost never use it anymore. (In fact, I just got up to check to see if it was still sticky, I think the three pads of it I have now are 3 years old.) I have leather feet by now.
I DO NOT Shoplift, no matter what. It’s a quick way to wind up with those vagrancy charges and getting stuck in a town doing community service. I don’t look down on it, by a longshot, but for me it’s a matter of being practical. It’s easier for me to work and buy my food than it is for me to steal my food and risk working for “free”. Or is that working for freedom?
Hammocks are incredibly light, true, but I never consider “off the cold ground” much of a benefit. If it’s cold enough to use that reason, I’ll probably prop the hammock low, and put the ponchos up as a tent around it. Having nothing but a matress pad and wind under your ass is not warmer than on the cold ground in a tent.
Neverknwo, can you name a store chain with that policy? That I could definately get into.
Belongings are usually needless. But I will admit to a tool habit. My grandmother’s garage has two high shelves I put up which store my “ridiculous” tools. Circular Saw, Hand Drill, Chainsaw, grinder, vices, etc. Eventually I will buy land and have those shipped to me. I pick them up used, usually for 10% or less of the price new. But until I have my own land they are boat anchors.
Hagcel, Yes that parkas are great, butnot if you have to pay the 1-200 bucks they want for them new. I’ve bought two of the parkas now, because the first one I had had been used up, and all the loft was gone from the filling. Great raincoat, but didn’t do much to keep me warm. I would say the only two pieces of surplus I actually love are the Ponchos and the pack, but I had to get mine in black. ;)

R90501
4 years ago
neverknwo

Kroger

R90526
4 years ago
Butt

Forget Dumpster diving you can take the Food right off the self by searching for the outdates. You can usally fill an entire cart a week.
that’s a new one on me – but I like where it’s going
Post Modified: 10/18/05 14:05:04

R90527
4 years ago
brdow

Guerrillero BlackPacker.
Que chevere.

R90663
4 years ago
BlackPacker

Knwo, How did I guess that it would be Krogers. I gotta get back down south again.

R90709
4 years ago
Captain_Zissou

You dont even have to camp if you dont want to. I¨m in Boquete, Panama and its the rainy season. Funny thing is the “Ex-Pats” dont like the rain so they go back to the states. I´m housesitting. It doesnt pay anything, but they leave the power & water on and I have a bed to sleep in. (I actually sleep on my camp mat on the floor).
But I understand this post. Next week or so its into the jungle with my hammock. In the national forest so no one around for kilometres.
Ciao

R91381
4 years ago
silverback

dude, this shit is fucking serious.

R93665
4 years ago
guerillaman

As far as getting money goes, panhandling is a time honored tradition once known as begging alms. Here is the ultimate panhandling method for people traveling with a backpack: As you approach a young to middle-aged adult male (alone or with a female friend) ask, “Pardon me sir, may I speak to you for a minute?” People that say, “No.” at this point are a waste of time anyway. To those that hesitate or say “yes” you continue,” My friend and I are traveling from (Point A) to (Point B) and we are trying to get together something to eat. We were wondering if you could help us out with anything under a quarter.” If you are traveling alone pretend you have a friend and point off in the distance when you say friend. The importance of this cannot be over stressed. You must appear that you are NOT a loner. The rest is simple. The “traveling from NY to California” or whatever, makes it appear you are going somewhere in life and are, perhaps, just “hung up” a little not just “hanging out” a lot. The “trying to get together something to eat” shows a REAL need and the “help us out with something under a quarter.” Shows you are humble, a bit embarrassed and trying not to hassle people too much. Asking adult males keeps you from scaring women, however, times have changed. Asking men walking with women allows them to show their generous nature. This too is a dated, sexist construct.
I learned this method in 1972 from two guys I picked up hitchhiking in Canada that could ask these questions in seven languages. They taught me the psychology of panhandling and would scoff at those that asked for “spare change”. They had traveled and were traveling the world. They suggested that you set an amount as a goal each time you went out only panhandle to that set amount. They called themselves the “righteous pandhandlers”. They felt they provided a social service in letting others feel good for having helped stranded travelers. In fact, they were just very good at faking sincerity. They would sometimes use nearly empty packs as props. They would often panhandle enough for an “all you can eat” type place and would go prepared with plenty of plastic sacks for “to go” orders. They would also get a bottle of Canada Dry Ginger Ale and Canadian Club Whiskey. We would pass them, each taking two swigs from each, first the C.C. then the C.D., repeat and pass. After the three of us finished a fifth we would go harass the “spare change” guys. Tell them they were giving us “righteous panhandlers” a bad name. What an idiot I could be when I was young. Hell, I haven’t lost it yet…I can still be an idiot with the best (and youngest) of them.
BTW a similar pitch is useful for raising funds for NGO’s: Pardon me may I speak to you for a minute? My friends and I are on a little blue planet traveling around the sun. We are trying to get together something to eat for the children and we were wondering if you could help us out with anything under say… a billion dollars.
I will leave you with a quote from Kahil Gibran who said: “Work is love made visible. If we may not work with love then it is better that we sit at the door of the temple and beg alms from those that may.” He also said, “Money is like love; it kills slowly and painfully the one who withholds it, and enlivens the other who turns it on his fellow man.”

1 comment:

  1. I was glad to see you use adidas sunblocking shirt. I use the same one while going on fishing/backpacking trips. You can was it in a creek in a minute, and it dries in 5. A very good shirt for backpackers.

    ReplyDelete